Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Black Sweet Rice Porridge Recipe (Ketan Hitam)

Oh! this recipe brings me back to my childhood. I grew up in Indonesia, the 4th populous country in the world (right next to US). My mom loves to make these when I was little. I remember trying to eat it as slowly as possible so that when my brothers are finished with their rice, they'd be watching me and begging me for some. Anyways, we usually eat this as snack and serve it with coconut milk. I want to invite everyone to try and make it. It tastes great and I bet you will want to eat more and more! here goes:


Ingredients:
  • 2 Cups Glutinous Black Sweet Rice (It can be found at any Asian grocery stores)
  • 4 Cups of Water
  • 1 1/2 Cups Sugar (2 Cups if you like sweet)
  • 1 Canned Coconut Milk (Usually comes in 161ml (5.46 fl oz)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3 Pandan Leaves
Instructions:
  • Wash sweet rice thoroughly with cold water. Drain, and place it in a slow cooker (crock pot)
  • Pour water over rice
  • Turn crock pot to high, cook it for 3 hours (stir in between)
  • Add sugar, stir until sugar is dissolved
  • On a small pot, bring coconut milk to boil while stirring, add salt
  • Let cool and serve!



No comments:

Post a Comment